Thursday, May 10, 2007

Thurs. 5/10/07 - Final day in Kyiv and Ukraine!

We are both anticipating our trip tomorrow to the U.S. Yesterday was a big Memorial Day holiday. We spent hours walking among the crowds in the Freedom Square area and underground shopping malls. We had a great dinner and stayed to see fireworks. They were less glamorous than we had seen in Donetsk. Ira was pretty tired so we walked our 4+ miles back to our flat and she showered and went right to sleep.
I walked to the SRC office today to pick up and pay for our tickets that were purchased on our behalf more than 2 weeks ago (last 2 seats). We will take a walk to the Botanical gardens this afternoon, have a last dinner and get some sleep. I am anticipating the flight already and the clock can't move fast enough. I simply can't wait to get to do some constructive work when I get back. My patience and feelings of being antsy are at about the end of their ropes. I have maintained my cool under some very tense moments and constantly reminded myself that there is nothing I could do to change things, just keep the faith. That's just the way it is. I believe acceptance of what things are makes it tolerable, therefore, we took in the culture of the country and didn't try to fight it. These folks have much to do to catch up to the rest of Europe and the world. Free enterprise in in full gear and construction and industry seem to be flourishing, so time will tell.
I know I said this yesterday, but I'll say it again, see you all SOON!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Dale, hang in there, I am proud of all your patience through all this when I had to return home...can't wait to see you both!!
Love,
Debbie

Q's News said...

Way to go Dale - almost home now! Look forward to seeing you and meeting your new daughter.

Tim & Charlene

Passanita Family said...

We've all been praying for you Dale and have been quite impressed with the way you have handled everything. I know Rob and I will want to know your secret to additional reserves of patience! Have a great flight back and we will look forward to seeing you both soon! Take Care
Laura and Rob