Wednesday, May 2, 2007

5/2/07 - Last day in Donetsk

Yesterday turned out to be a bummer. Rained all day, but Ira & I made the best of it. She doesn't like studying that much with me since she doesn't really have to yet. She is still in the comfort zone in Ukraine. But I insist and try to be as redundant as possible with terms she will hear every day. She is getting there but the road is long.

I spoke to the Henry's yesterday and they are behind the eight ball with all of this holiday business and don't know when they can expect to their court date. It's cold where they are and not much to do in the way of amusements. Jim is like me, no ear for the language. Fortunately, Jean has a great handle on the language and it is certainly coming in handy.
Today we went for a ride with Misha to a religious site about 30 km out of town, but Ira was sound asleep (probably from the Dramamine I gave her prior). She finally woke up after we were back in town and we had to stop the car and let her out. Well, the Dramamine didn't work!!! Looks like air sick bags where ever we go... We went to the circus in Donetsk, another first for Ira. She enjoyed it as Misha and I did also. We went to dinner afterwards at a place called the BANANA. It was Cuban motif and we all ate well. Ira had a large ice cream after her meal. She sure takes after here Mama on that score. Ira plays games on my cell phone while waiting in restaurants. So this evening she finished playing and forgot to give the phone back. I didn't realize it til we got home and she was in the shower. I high-tailed back to the restaurant (about 1.5 miles) and retrieved it. Need some excitement every day to stay on my toes...
We are heading back to Kharkiv early tomorrow. We will stop in a town on the way so Sergey can move some other paperwork along for another adopting couple. Sergey called our Judge and she will allow him to pick up the decree late tomorrow rather than early Friday when the judgement goes into effect. That will save us about 2 hours of driving time Friday. Friday he will head for Ira's birth town and get her new birth certificate (sounds familiar!!!). Then we will go for the passport. That may have to wait til Monday and we pray that the holidays will not interrupt us. Don't know when I will get to another Internet cafe, so this might be it for a few days. I want to thank everyone for all their prayers. God is listening...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Debbie and Dale

I have been following your journey on the webblog and I know that Ira is going to be very blessed having you as a family.
I know from my personal experience living in a foreign country and miss you family and country how wonderful it felt to feel as part of your family and all the good and caring things you did for me. It was one of the best experiences in my life.
I hope my family and I will be able to meet Ira and to meet my warm, caring and wonderful American family. Jacob and I have been visiting the American Embassy in Copenhagen today to an interview for our VISA application for our upcoming stay in the US ! I am going to do some research at Yale University for 4 months. I am planning to arrive in New Haven, CT in mid June and then Jacob, Emilie and Tobias will join me around July 1 st., hopefully after I have found a place to rent/live.
We are very excited although we are a bit concerned about my mothers illness but we have decided not to miss this once in a life time experience and it is not further away than a flight home if things goes in the wrong direction with my mother.
I wish you the best and I will keep following your journey here and hopefully I will get to write you back more frequently here from Denmark.

Much love from

Karina

Unknown said...

Dale, my fingers (which include toes in Ukraine) are all crossed for a successful pickup of the decree and birth certificate (the "final" one!)and passport. All flghts are set for 5/11 so Lisa and I will be at RIC waiting for your arrival!! Tell Irina I have the ice cream sundaes waiting!!
Love,
Debbie & Lisa

Anonymous said...

Dear Debbie and Dale,
We appreciate the ups and downs you're experiencing and know God is with you every step of the way!
Peace and Blessings,
Terri, Stan, Art, and Ella
p.s. You are a good, patient, and resourceful man! (we wouldn't have thought of dramamine!)